An exclusive interview 
of Nawab Khair Baksh Marri to Newsline


“I believe our resources are more precious than a few promised development projects”
Nawab Khair Baksh Marri
An exclusive interview of Nawab Khair Baksh Marri to Newsline
By: Shazada Zulfiqar
Question: Have you been contacted by the government in its drive to initiate a dialogue with the tribal chiefs in regard to the proposed oil and gas exploration in Balochistan.
Answer: yes I have been contacted through my relatives and some Baloch government officers who initiated what the military officers are proposing.
Some of the messages suggested that I should be prepared for talks and that the authorities were going to release me.
Others asked me what demands the Marri’s and other tribes would have in exchange for our corporation. I told them that since I was arrested residence on charges of murder, those who had me jailed should decide what to do with me. Apart from that I had nothing else to say to them.

Question: So you have not agreed to talk to them?
Answer: This is a deception. Actually, under a neocolonialist system the Punjabi have made the Baloch their slaves and have been looting their resources. They are not interested in the welfare of the Baloch, only in exploiting their resources. I know any talks held will yield no results. I have been interrogated here not about the charges for which I am ostensibly being held, but for my activities in Afghanistan.
Not even 10 percent of the interrogation has been about the alleged case against me. They send people here to check my pulse. In fact all that the Phaktoon and Punjabi military officers want to know is weather I have lost my nerve yet not, weather I am still firm on my stand.

Question: Does this mean that there is no chance at all for any dialogue with the authorities?
Answer: No it doesn’t. They are clever and want to deceive me. We have to be very careful about how we can protect ourselves from their deception. The people’s confidence should not be shaken. If under these circumstances I agreed to talk to the authorities, the Baloch people might start thinking that I have struck a bargain with them and sold out their rights. Let me make it clear that the government is not interested in developing the area (Kohlu).
Actually, they want to build roads here to give the Punjabi easy access to it, in order to open the area for promotion of their own interests. Anyway, I would like to hold consultations with other Baloch tribal chieftains before coming to any decision about this issue.

Question: Would you consider evolving a joint strategy with Nawab Akbar Bugti and Sardar Attaullah Mengal?
Answer: Obviously, I will have discussions with them about this crucial issue, and we will then have to evolve a joint strategy in the interest of the Baloch people. And after my release, I will also organize my group.

Question: What conditions would you set with the government in exchange for cooperation with the authorities?
Answer: I believe that our resources, those from the sea –our fisheries, our oil, gas etc, are far more precious than a few promised development projects.

“There are some people who will offer resistance and uphold the Baloch tradition of fighting for life of honor. I believe the government’s objectives of de-weaponisation is aimed at disarming those deprived nationalities, particularly the Baloch, who they fear it will rise against them due to their suppression. That is why I made an appeal to the Baloch population not to surrender their honor-their weapons-other ways in the Baloch society they will face humiliation until their death.”


I do not agree with the people who believed that the restoration of 1,100 job is closed Sandak copper-gold project would be adequate compensation for Balochistan’s natural resources. These jobs are like pennies compared to the wealth that exist in their rocks of Chaghi. I want to see the Baloch leading simple lives with independence. I don’t support them to be slaves leading luxurious lives.

Question: If the government cannot have its way through negotiations, there are reports it will respond to force. Do you think this is possible?
Answer: It will not be the first time: the Punjabi colonial powers keep using force in Balochistan. If it wants to, it would do so again and again. But the people will certainly resist.

Question: Do you think all the Baloch will resist?
Answer: It will be an exaggeration to claim that right from Gwadar to Barkan, the Baloch population will take up arms. I am not making such claims. But there are some people who will offer resistance and uphold the Baloch tradition of fighting for life of honor. I believe the government’s objectives of de-weaponisation is aimed at disarming those deprived nationalities, particularly the Baloch, who they fear it will rise against them due to their suppression.
That is why I made an appeal to the Baloch population not to surrender their honor-their weapons-other ways in the Baloch society they will face humiliation until their death. I have told them that if the government forces tried to violate the sanctity of their premises, of the chadar aur char dewari, they should resist.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American expected defeat in Ukraine: a golden opportunity for freedom movements! By Hafeez Hassanabadi

Hafeez Hassanabadi, Translated Articles